Prospective Students

Graduate Degrees and the LTRR

Students are encouraged to attend The University of Arizona for the purpose of earning a graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) with thesis research using dendrochronology. It is important to note that students earn degrees through a degree-granting academic department of The University of Arizona, not the LTRR. However, the LTRR now offers a “Graduate Certificate in Dendrochronology,” which can be earned independently of or in conjunction with the pursuit of a graduate degree (see for details). With that in mind, prospective and current students may choose a relationship with the LTRR which best fits their interests and current opportunities in the LTRR. Each student's situation is different, and much depends of the status of a student's advisor, available funding sources, and your own interests. Contact current students to find out how they balance their involvement. Some options include:

  • Your work, funding, and advisor are in the LTRR.
  • Your advisor and/or funding come from a department,
    but you do tree-ring work.
  • You have an assistantship through the LTRR,
    unrelated to your degree research.
  • You are a visiting graduate student
    (see Visiting Scholar Program)
  • Other types of relationships are possible!

How to Apply to Graduate School

Prospective students must ...

  1. Apply to The University of Arizona Graduate College. Forms are available online.
  2. Contact one or more LTRR faculty to discuss common research ideas and possible funding sources. You may also wish to contact current graduate students regarding their experiences.
  3. Contact and apply to a specific academic department that suits your interest. Below is a list of departments in which past and current students have studied.


Academic Departments and Interdisciplinary Programs

These are some home departments of past and current graduate students. LTRR faculty have adjunct appointments in many of these departments.